Monday, November 15, 2010

Showtunes and lullabies

Oh doodle bug... you were so grumpy last night that I resorted to performing show tunes and lullabies for the duration of our 45 minute car ride. If I stopped singing for longer than a minute or two, you started making dreadful noises. I haven't been that desperate to entertain you since you were 2 months old and colicky!
 
Your favorite song of all time is still "Wheels on the bus". It's the only song that I'm guaranteed to get your participation on. There is still one special lullaby that I try to reserve for your hardest moments. For some reason the lullaby from the movie The Prince of Egypt has calmed you down since the first time I hummed it a few weeks after you were born. It works 95% of the time and is one of the most reliable tools in my mommy arsenal.
 
The first time I hummed it, you were just a few weeks old and refused to sleep unless I was holding you. After a few bars of this lullaby, you calmed down. One verse in and you were snoring softly. Sometimes you would scream for long periods of time and nothing could calm you down. I think you were having reflux (that's what your pediatrician) said anyway. I finally just gave in to what you seemed to need and let you sleep on my chest all the time. If you were in a bad crying jag, I would sing to you. It seemed to soothe you, probably because of all the singing I did in the car while you were in utero. You still have an inexplicable (well to the outside world) passion for Reba songs.
 
Hush now my baby, be still love, don't cry. Sleep as you're rocked by the stream. Sleep and remember, my lullaby. And I'll be with you when you dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment